Thursday, July 29, 2010

PINK SISTER

I've often wondered if this would happen. And then I hoped it would - looking for the opportunity to present itself. A couple of days ago it did...

As my family and I were shopping in a small mountain town, I was approached by a sales lady who was eyeing my hat (which was desperately trying to make me look less bald). She said something nice about it and then immediately told me she just finished treatment for breast cancer and how she used to wear hats. After I told her we were pink sisters, she leaned in and we gave each other a hug.

I then asked her how long ago it had been since she had undergone chemotherapy and her reply surprised me beyond words. She said she still had a few treatments of Herceptin and that she finished her Taxotere/carboplatin treatments 2-3 months ago. Why was I so surprised, you might ask? Because she had a full head of thick, healthy hair. The length wasn't long but it wasn't all that short either. I couldn't believe it!!

I was so amazed (and envious) that I started peppering her with questions. She told me it started coming in pretty fast once she stopped with the taxotere. Different color and texture, but quickly and thickly. I'm telling you, I was so encouraged by what she told me and the way she looked that I'm still buoyed by this information and looking even more forward to me finishing off my sixth treatment (which will be my last Taxotere).

The opportunity that I talked about at the beginning was that I would cross paths with a fellow pink sister in which we would recognize our common plight in each other and be able to embrace each other, knowing that the bond we have is a special one.

4 comments:

Dad said...

Fantastic, Di ! What a great event to give you courage and encouragement. Fellowship with like kindred minds about anything can give us the love that makes the world go round. And the world will continue to go round, and you will see your troubles soon pass. I'm tearfully happy for you, hon.

Steve said...

Yay for you!!

Mommy, I'm Home said...

That's very encouraging news, Diana!

mom said...

What a wonderful surprise. One never knows who they will meet and how it might affect their life. I'm so happy for you!! Pretty soon hats will be a thing of the past.