Monday, August 30, 2010

FLIP FLOP

Day 8 of round 6 and I'm feeling pretty well. First week went just like every other first week - a lot of sleeping. We'll have to see what week 2 has in store for me. Hopefully, it will be a fairly easy one since we're planning to go camping this weekend. Not only do I want to be able to camp, but I want to enjoy it.

Here's an interesting thing that happened at my last treatment...

As the technician was about to access my port, he realized something strange. Somehow the port, located under my skin, had flipped. It was no longer accessible because the back side was now facing outward. It kind of freaked me out. I try not to think about this foreign object that has been implanted within my body and now I had to come to terms with the fact that not only had it flipped but that it needed to be flipped back.

In case you're wondering how to flip an internal port without opening up the skin, one does it by grabbing it through the skin and flipping it. Not only is it difficult and painful, but no one is sure which way to flip it. And flipping it the wrong way would only twist the wires/tubing more in the wrong way and disable the flow of fluids in and out through the port.

John, the technician who usually handles my treatment (who, by the way, is just wonderful!) tried to flip it - unsuccessfully. He called over the second technician (also, wonderful) to give it a try. Unsuccessful. By this time, my skin is hurting and I'm worried that I'm not going to get my final "super" treatment that day. Not only that, but I'd have to have it corrected surgically. Ugh!

There was a third technician there that day. Usually it's just the two but on busier days, they have a third and we had met her before. She was asked to try. She had me lay back in the chair (where as I was sitting upright for the other attempts) and as quick as can be, she flipped it with ease. And when the port was tested to see if it worked properly - it did!

Obviously, I went on to get my full treatment and my port has stayed in place this last week. I was told to keep an eye on it as it could be easily flipped again. I was also told that it probably flipped while I was sleeping and because of the position I was sleeping in, and that it does happen occasionally. If it does flip again, I most likely will have to go into surgery and have it put back into place properly.

I'm praying that it will stay in place for the next 4-5 months.

5 comments:

Mommy, I'm Home said...

That does not sound like fun. I hope it doesn't flip again.t

Steve said...

Praying too.

Kegulneq said...

Ugh! No bueno. So sorry to hear that! I'll say a prayer for you.

Anonymous said...

Thankful that person #3 was there. If not they probably would have sent you to have it repaired. She was your angel for the day. Sorry you had to endure the first 2 tried.

Hope your weekend is wonderful and filled with good memories.

MightyMom said...

well, I'd say you should name the port "Flipper", but maybe that'd just give it ideas....

;-)

glad they were able to fix it for you!!

always good to hear from you babe. still thinking about you often.