Monday, July 12, 2010

THE QUILT

This post is long overdue and my apologies go out to Mighty Mom of My Wonderful Life for not posting it right away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little over two weeks ago, I walked out to my mailbox and found such a nice surprise. A woman I've never met in person, but only through the blogging world, cared so much about me and the hardshipS I'm going through, that she spent many hours stitching together a beautiful quilt as a gift for me. I was, and am still, blown away.

Here's some of what she wrote in her own blog post about the quilt:
"Many prayers are stitched into this quilt, Diana. Prayers not only for your recovery, but also for strength, hope, faith, love and JOY to follow and surround you along your journey."

I can't express how much this means to me. For someone I hardly know to show me so much love in such a way is beyond words. I've mentioned before how I used to shy away from people who was afflicted with cancer. I figured most people are this way and I have seen this happen in my own personal situation. But I can understand it, and don't have any hard feelings towards those who don't feel comfortable around me or cancer.

What is harder for me to understand are those who have no fear of becoming involved in my life - however much or little. And as I said above, I can't properly express how much these people and their attitudes and kind deeds mean to me. So thank you Sarah for the beautiful quilt you made me (and in record time) but even more, for being such a special friend and person.

She named the quilt, "Sunshine on the Water," and here's what she wrote about the inspiration for the quilt: "Originally from California, Diana loves the ocean. Despite the many years she's lived in Colorado, she's said the waves call to her, the sights and sounds and smells of the beach bring her peace and joy.

Back up from the monitor...squint your eyes....can you see the waves?"

Yes, Sarah, I can see the waves. I can feel the peace of the them wash over me whenever I have the quilt cover me. And I feel comforted by your love and prayers.

7 comments:

Sis said...

Wow! This is so wonderful. Tears are welling up in my eyes as I take in this extraordinary kindness. Thank you, Sis, for sharing this with all of us and thank you, Sarah, for blessing my sister in such a profound and practical way. Praying for you today, Diana, as you go through round 4, and many prayers are lifted up to you this week as your body responds. Love you so much.

Janice said...

It's a beautiful quilt and so nice of your friend to make it for you. My prayers are with you.

MightyMom said...

I'm tickled that you like it!! Praying for you this week!

Dad said...

Wow is right! What a testimony to you, Diana, that people like Sarah are out there praying for you and presenting you with gifts showing their concern and care. She is obviously a very humble, encouraging person who cares deeply for the well being of others. Indeed, we share in her prayers for you as you go through this fourth round of treatment and recovery.

Jamey said...

Wow, that quilt is beautiful! What an amazing gift from a true friend that you have never even met!

Just Mom said...

Oh, I see the waves too! Beautiful quilt from a beautiful friend.

mom said...

wow - I missed this blog - what a lovely quilt, such a thoughtful gift and person who made it. I hope it brings you much comfort.