Thursday, September 9, 2010

UPDATES

ROUND 6 DAY 19
This round has treated me to mouth sores galore. With some rounds, I would get one or two and other rounds, I would get none. This time around I have had at least 4, on both sides of my mouth. I'm going on a week where it's been very difficult to eat because of the pain when food hits the sores. And since I haven't been able to eat much, I have felt very weak. But, the sores are healing and each day I'm able to eat a little bit easier - avoiding anything with salt - and I should be able to regain my strength over time.

MUGA SCAN
Tuesday, I went in for a heart test called a MUGA scan. I hadn't had one of these before. With at least one of the chemo drugs (probably 2), there's a chance that there's been some damage done to my heart. With this test, they can produce a moving image of the heart and access the health of the heart's major pumping chamber (the left ventricle). My oncologist should have the results before my next treatment, which will be Monday. Here is a description of the test:

When a MUGA scan is performed, a small amount of a radioactive isotope is attached to red blood cells and then injected into the blood stream. The isotope emits weak gamma rays which can be dtected with a special camera positioned over the patient. As the blood fills the ventricles or chambers of the heart, the camera picks up a clear picture of the heart's function, creating an animated image of the beating heart which is used in diagnostics.

GENETIC TESTING
Wednesday, I met with a genetic counselor at the cancer center. My great-grandmother died from breast cancer that had moved to her lung(s). Because of that, my oncologist wanted me to meet with the counselor and possibly have testing done to see if I have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene that is inherited.

I most likely don't since there are no other cases of breast or ovarian cancer in my family. But because there are no other cases in relatives close to me, my (and most) insurance company won't pay for the testing. I could pay for it out of pocket, but it would be around $3500 and I think we'll either pass on that, or at least wait.

HERCEPTIN
Monday will be my first treatment of only the drug Herceptin. I've been told that there are little to no side effects from this drug. I am looking forward to seeing if this is true and going back to living without all the side effects I've dealt with over the past five months. Woo-hoo!

4 comments:

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Hope those mouth sores clear up fast, Diana. If not, I'm thinking I'll have to send you some chocolate shakes...

mom said...

Woo-hoo is right! Let's hope you have 3 "good" weeks.

Thanks for the info on the testing. Your body has sure gone through the testing!! Let us know how the heart test comes out.

I'm so proud of the way you have handled everything; your strength, great positive attitude, keeping family and friends informed and . . .

I love you!

Anonymous said...

Praying your mouth is healing and your strength returning as I write.

My extended family has just gone through the genetic testing. It proved to be beneficial. At times it leaves me wondering where I stand. My grandmother having had ovarian and my mom breast cancer. My dad's side is full of breast cancer survivors. I've recently learned that his family is just as critical to my chances of getting breast cancer.

Praying for good reports on all your testings.

MightyMom said...

I do hope you're getting meds for the sores! There's a "miracle mouthwash" that's fabulous for them! Let me know if you need specifics on it.

Always good to catch up with you!

Hang tough my dear friend.